The Dragonfly Home Sex Trafficking Shelter
Coming in 2019
Providing Shelter for Adult Women Victim/Survivors of Sex Trafficking
The Dragonfly Home Residential Program is set to open in 2019 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Sex trafficking victim/survivors will receive 24-hour, comprehensive care especially tailored for adult women who have exited sex trafficking. In a welcoming, home setting, Survivor Residents will receive trauma-informed, victim-centered, culturally sensitive help so that each individual has her unique needs are met and feels empowered to achieve her goals.
Our Residential Program will provide care around the clock, 24 hours a day. That means that Dragonfly Residential Advocates who specialize in providing care for human trafficking survivors will be on-site to provide support at any time, day or night.
Survivor Residents will receive comprehensive care and services in a restorative home setting at The Dragonfly Home. The staff will work to make sure all Survivor Residents’ basic needs are met, as well as needs that are specific to those who have suffered the trauma of human trafficking. A few examples of those kinds of needs include:
- Safety planning for every day situations
- Trauma focused therapy and counseling
- Substance abuse support
- Legal assistance for a criminal record related to trafficking situation
- Convenient transportation to appointments
A Place Like Home
The Dragonfly Home staff is passionate about providing care and assistance in a comfortable, cozy setting. Our goal is to create a place where human trafficking victim/survivors can experience relief and restoration in the warm, inviting setting of home.
Empowerment and Restoration
One of the cruelest aspects of human trafficking is that traffickers rip away their victim’s power to make choices. Another is that traffickers work to make sure their victims can’t see any hope for a different life, one where they can dream and set goals.
At The Dragonfly Home Residential Program, our Residential Advocates will be dedicated to getting to know our Survivor Residents and help them see hope for a future of freedom. Victim/survivors of human trafficking will receive encouragement to choose whatever goals they desire, whether that’s:
- Getting a GED or college degree
- Finding a new type of job
- Setting long-term career goals
- Reconnecting with family
- Developing a new skill or passion for art, music, writing, animals, photography, knitting, etc.
Connection to Services
Through many community partnerships in Oklahoma City and around Oklahoma, The Dragonfly Home will connect Survivor Residents to a variety of services, including, but not limited to*:
- Specialized case management services
- Food and clothing
- Medical, gynecological, and dental care
- Children’s services
- Mental health counseling/ therapeutic services
- Document and ID retrieval
- Transportation (case by case basis)
- Legal assistance, including court advocacy
- Substance abuse support and recovery
- Vocational training
- Information on crime victims rights
- Assistance with crime victims compensation
- Resume writing and job placement assistance
- Education and financial aid assistance
- Parenting and life skills classes
- Immigration document assistance
- SANE exams
- Victim protective orders
The Dragonfly Home Residential Program will be certified by the Oklahoma Office of the Attorney General and will be the only certified human sex trafficking shelter in Oklahoma City. Set to open in 2019.
Interested in becoming The Dragonfly Home’s Shelter Project Sponsor? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our Info Line at 405.212.3378.
*Not an exhaustive list
*The Dragonfly Home provides services free from all forms of unlawful discrimination based on race, color, gender, sexual orientation, age; disabilities (i.e., physical, mental illness and substance abuse), economic or educational status, religion and national origin, or on the basis of immigration status.
*Survivor Residents are not required to participate in any religious or spiritual activities to receive services.